How are you doing this week? I am on week 24 with Medifast and I have lost another pound this week, bringing my total to 15.5 pounds lost. I think finally getting back to an exercise routine has made a world of difference for me. I had just gotten into a good flow with working out with my Journey Gym when I had my tendonitis crop up in my shoulder again. It seems to be my luck with my weight loss! During that time I just did my aerobic part of the plan and stopped the toning and resistance. It does feel good to be active again! This week I want to talk about how keeping a food journal can help with weight loss. Not only can you track your calories and what you have eaten, but it keeps you accountable. You can do this with a journal you have purchased or you can find several online options that are free to use. Here are the top 5 reasons a food journal is important”
- It Shows What You Eat: People tend to miss things they eat if they are not writing it down. Did you know that most of the calories people usually eat are in between meals rather than with the meal itself? I was telling my husband that one serving of pretzels is 19 mini pretzels for 110 calories. If you have not portioned your food and are eating out of the bag, you can eat upwards of 300-500 extra calories. Ouch!
- It Can Help You Lose Weight: Once you can see where you are adding extra calories, you can more easily cut them out. You may be surprised once you take a good look at what goes in your mouth that what you thought was healthy or OK, is really not.
- It Can Help You Plan Meals: After writing in your food journal for a few weeks, you will probably see a pattern of certain food you eat. This can help you make grocery lists and plan meals that can keep you on track.
- It Can Show You What You Are Missing: Most of us know what we need to eat to stay healthy because we had to memorize the food pyramid in health class! When you take a look at what you tend to eat each day, it will show you what you are missing. Most people tend to not eat enough fruits and vegetables and too much in the grains and proteins.
- It Will Keep You On Track: If you cannot find an accountability partner to help you stay on track with your food, your journal will help. If you are honest, and that is key, about what you are eating, you can then know where to make adjustments. If you are truly writing down everything you eat, you cannot hide from what is in black and white in front of you!
I hope these tips have helped you and you will start keeping a food journal of your own. If you are interested in joining the Medifast family, you should visit their website and take a look at all the yummy foods that are available.